Re-ordering of Sentences:
Rearranging of words, jumbled words, sentence formation for Class 11 CBSE English
by Vijay Kumar PGT English @SAARTHAK
Sentences are made up of different grammar units and these units are broken up and deliberately jumbled up in
to create a 'rearrangement or reordering of sentences'exercise. Sentence rearrangement is an exercise in
rearrangement of jumbled words, phrases to make sentences that are complete and make sense. These jumbled words
phrases need to be rearranged in a proper order to form a grammatically correct meaningful sentence.
Reordering sentences in English grammar is an important and scoring topic in class 11 CBSE. It involves the
arrangement of some given words or sentences to form a correct sentence or a paragraph. When rearranging
a learner should be cautious because it may appear difficult. To analyse a sentence, one must be a competent
observer because a well-constructed sentence lends meaning to a story.
Follow these Rules:
When it comes to rearranging jumbled words to form meaningful sentences, here are some general rules that can be
Identify the subject:
At first, look for the subject and the predicate which contains the verb. Look for words that can function as
subject of the sentence, such as nouns or pronouns. The subject is usually the main focus of the sentence.
Identify the verb:
Look for the helping verbs. Arrange them in a way that it makes sense. Locate words that can function as the
verb of the sentence. Verbs indicate the action or state of being in the sentence.
Identify other sentence components:
Look for the objects, adjectives, adverbs and other parts of speech. Arrange them in a way that it makes sense.
for other parts of speech like adjectives, adverbs, prepositions, and conjunctions that help provide more
detail to the sentence.
Pay attention to word order:
In English, the typical word order in a sentence is subject-verb-object (SVO). However, this order can vary
depending on the sentence structure or emphasis. Don't forget to count the words as it should be same as given
the jumbled-up sentence. Don't use any other words other than the ones given in the sentence.
Use grammar and syntax rules:
Apply the appropriate grammar and syntax rules to ensure the sentence is structurally correct and follows the
of the English language.
Go to My New Classroom Website for all 11th English lessons/grammar/writing section topics
Use context clues:
Consider the context of the jumbled words or the overall message of the sentence. This can help you determine
most logical arrangement.
Read the sentence aloud:
Read the sentence carefully after rearrangement. It should make sense and grammatically correct. Sometimes,
the sentence aloud can help you identify the correct word order and phrasing that sounds natural and coherent.
Insert punctuation marks like periods, commas, question marks, and exclamation points to enhance clarity and
the intended meaning.
You can use trial and error method in complex and large disordered sentences. After rearranging the jumbled
words, review the sentence to ensure it makes sense, is grammatically correct, and conveys the intended
We know this topic by different names for example rearranging sentences, word order exercises, sentence order,
rearranging of words, jumbled words, sentence formation. So, no need to get confused. They represent the same
We are studying here Re-ordering of Sentences class 11 CBSE.
Question on this topic is asked in this format:
"Rearrange the following jumbled words/phrases to make meaningful sentences:"
Standard Sentence Structure:
Ram reads. (No object)
S + V
I like mangoes.
He is reading a book.
S + V + O
Ram is busy.
Sita is smart.
The flowers are red.
S + V + Adjective
Ram is here.
He ran slowly.
Sheela writes legibly.
S + V + Adverb
He is my friend.
He is a doctor.
They are teachers.
S + V + Noun
Begins with WHO, followed by WHAT
The bus returned.
John ate rice.
John spoke to Sohan. (After preposition)
Jaya called earlier to cancel her appointment.
The bus returned to the station to drop the passenger.
Remember 9 points:
There is Strict order where words can appear in a sentence, to be meaningful
1. Never separate WHO from Verb
We two years ago bought this car. (wrong)
We bought this car two years ago.
Sam ate slowly his meal. (wrong)
Sam ate his meal slowly.
He goes by train to work. (wrong)
He goes to work by train.
2. WHO-WHAT-WHERE- WHEN- HOW- WHY
He goes to Chandigarh in the morning by bus to study.
3. Place the S before the V: SV DO IDO
Were used several different methods in the test.
Several different methods were used in the test.
4. Keep the subject and the verb close to each other.
Reader will give less attention to what is between Subject and Verb. So...
5. If two objects are there, then don't separate Verb from Direct Object(thing) [Indiect Object PERSON]
6. Put Direct Object(things) before Indirect Object (Persons)
Sana gave her pen to Rohan.
What is being given: Direct Object
To whom was the pen given: Indirect Object
7. Put Adverb before the main verb; in TO BE it is places after the main verb
The police silently surrounded the bank. (to emphasise)
The summer is usually hot and humid. (to be)
8. If two auxiliaries are there then put adverb before second one
I am still waiting for your reply.
(NOT I still am waiting for your reply.)
(NOT I am waiting still for your reply.)
9. Put adjectives before noun whom they are explaining.
The teacher sent his students in the playground.
Subject + Helping Verb + Action Verb + Object + other words
Noun/Pronoun are Subject of a sentence
Helping Verb consists is is/am/are/was/were/can/has/have etc.
Action Verbs are: eat, going, make, run, destroy, pollute etc
Object part has any object which can be a noun etc.
Other words can have preposition, articles, object compliment, adverb etc
Remember that these are general guidelines, and there may be exceptions based on specific sentence structures,
phrases, or idiomatic expressions. Practice and exposure to various sentence patterns will help you become more
proficient at rearranging jumbled words effectively.
Typology of Questions on rearranging the jumbled words:
1. Basic Format
This is the structure in which all of the statements are displayed in a jumbled state, and students must
correctly reshape them.
2. Static First Statement
The first sentence is given as static in the second type, and applicants must logically organise the
statements. The initial statement must not be changed.
3. Static Last Statement
Candidates must organise the remaining sentences to make the h4aragraph logical with the last sentence
just as they must arrange the other sentences to make the paragraph logical with a static first statement.
4. Static First and Last Statement
The initial and last assertions can be static, and applicants must rearrange the remaining words between
make them logically correct.
SOLVED PRACTICE SENTENCES:
From Easy to Difficult
Easy exercises to begin with:
Practice Set -1
- larger/is/a/motor/car/a bus/than.
Practice Set -2
Practice Set -3
- are/who/this/fo/ you/buying?
Practice Set -4
- my/took/umbrella/is/man/wh/ this/the.
- mountain/the/highest/is/Everest/world the/in.
Practice Set -5
Practice Set -6
Practice Set -7
Practice Set -8
Practice Set -9
Practice Set -10
Practice Set -11
- the/book/out/of/print /is/you/mentioned/which
Practice Set -12
Practice Set -13
Practice Set -14
Practice Set -15
Practice Set -16
- Ramesh/the park/a boy/met/one day/in
- was/old/young boy/seven years/the/only
- asked/the nearest/he/bookstore/about/him
- wanted/buy/he/to/books/a few
Practice Set - 17
- is/an/known/Jaipur/Pink City.
- in the/are/building/city/in/pink/colour/ painted/most of the
- have made / a popular/it/its/historical/buildings / destination/tourist.
Practice Set - 18
- wear/these/people/ a majority / of /days/ a watch
- time/it/in/measures/seconds/ and / hours/minutes
- shapes/different / a wristwatch/sizes/ and / is available / it
- like/digital/ while / prefer / wristwatches/mechanical ones / others / some people
Practice Set - 19
- easy/very/it/to open/it/was
- to sleep/night/decided/every/they/a hotel/in
- quickly/very/the clothes/they/and food/packed.
- the/problem/bags/heavy/in carrying/ had/they
Practice Set - 20
- the temple architecture / form an / sculptures and paintings/of / essential part
- the architecture/is/ an artistic/in some temples / masterpiece
- is / situated in / the Konark temple / corner of Puri / north-eastern / the
- people / lakhs of / every year/visit/ the/ Konark temple
- the Sun God / dedicated/to/this/ temple / beautiful / is
Practice Set - 21
- of mankind / reading is / one of / pleasures / the greatest
- we/ enjoy/the/ much more / borrowed ones / our own books / reading/than
- book / care / must be / with / a borrowed / treated
- should begin / one / a private library / one's youth / building/in
- book/afraid of/ you should/writing notes on / not be your own
Practice Set - 22
- have become / part of/ developing city / airports / an essential / a
- services/tourism in / air taxi / will / boost/ the state
- more runways/for/we/landing / need / facilities
- promote / will surely / our tourism / this/sector
- this/ increasing / will help / between cities / connectivity/in
Practice Set - 23
- are a storehouse / Indian / Indian art/of/temples
- these/the architecture/artistic masterpiece / of /temples/ is an
- is situated/north-eastern/Konark temple / side / on the/ of Puri
- chariot / from of/ temple is/the/the/a/in
- its sculptures/famous/is/for/ temple / the
Practice Set - 24
- ignore/instinct / my first / the snake/ was to
- I didn't want / killed one / I had /it/as/never/ to kill
- only dangerous/ duty/to/was/kill/my/ones
- back / and returned / farm / I went / to the / stick/ with a
- hesitated/it/1/ but still / attack/to
Practice Set - 25
- democracy/ is very / important/ of press/ in a / freedom
- abused/times/is/ many/but/it
- biased/sometimes/present/is/opinion/ media / a
- to have/necessary/press/therefore / a responsible/it is
- can be/society/a/only than / fearless/imagined
Practice Set - 26
- that life began/ centuries ago/ scientists think/ twenty million/ on earth/ about
- endless process/ the plants and animals/ of evolution/ are the products/ of an
- are/ their/animals/ products of/ all the/ environment
- lose/ habitat/ human/ due to/ their/ the animals/ encroachment.
- the/ habitat/ regrowth/ rate of/ is/ very slow / of
Practice Set - 27
- a/ strong/ has/ animal/ affinity/ he /with
Practice Set - 28
- advocated/ release/ birds/ he/ caged/ the/ for/ of
- to/ be/ her/ Sudha/ the/ hard/ class/ is/ working/ in/ order/ best
- continues/ passage/ of time/ unabated/ The
- things/ is/ this/ why/ are/ constantly/ shifting
- change/ law/ in/ is/ a natural/ fact
Practice Set - 29
- during/ forests/ forces/ provide cover for/ battles/our
- age/ to/ the/ under/ of/ Children/ are not permitted/ eighteen/ drive
- the/ their room/ are/ boys/ lesson/ reviewing/ the/ In
- last/ was/ the railway/ Sunday/ particularly/ platform/ busy
- on the platform/ vendors with/ were/ wares/ their/ selling/ flowers/ sweet-smelling/ the
Practice Set - 30
- board/ were unsure how they/ the/ We/ would/ train
- boarded/ they/ caution/ the train with/ However
- few/ had/ only been a/ rain/ minutes/ he/ since/ had walked/ It/ outside/ it began to/ when
- die/ would rather/ up/ She/ give/ than/ her freedom
- by/ lesson/ taught/ was/ to you/ This/ your teacher
- I'm/ he's/ sure what/ saying/ Not
Practice Set - 31
- this letter/ granddad the author of/you're/ is
- until/ no/ I/ him/ I had/ had/ idea/ he/ told/ won a medal
- to/ used/ I/ ride/ to/ bicycle/ my/ school
- each boy the/ the/ before/ received a/ class/ punishment/ day/ in/ yesterday
- please/ the/ us/ how/ know/ let/ interview went
Practice Set - 32
- must/ the/ leave/ You/ classroom immediately
- work/ how much/ experience/ do you have
- from/ apple market/ I/ the/ brought/ some/ juice
- can't/ is/ hear anything because/ He/ he/ entirely deaf
- it is open/ holiday./ because/ is a public/ Nothing
- I'd already/ of/ all/ my/ spent/ rupees
Practice Set - 33
- Is/ bottle/ any/ there/ left/ ink/ the/ in
- earth/ years/ For/ man has been exploiting/ the/ many
- to/ Taplow/ being encouraged by/ against/ Frank/ speak out/ was/ Crocker
- Poet began/ her/ an/ miss/ viewing/ after/ mother/ to/ image/ of her
- been/ Ambassador/ has/ Tendulkar/ named as the Rio Olympics' Brand/ Sachin
Practice Set - 34
- society / is / discipline / of / foundation / the very
- great importance / one of the / essentials of life / it is / in all spheres / and is of / of life
- it life / become / without / miserable / at home / will
- obey / a soldier / or / the orders / a child, / a student / must
- for / is / our / progress / it / a must / country's
Practice Set - 35
- really / games and sports / true education / are / for / essential
- fit and / the div / games / look active / and / develop / keep it / make a person
- evening / dullness / all / an hour's / removes / play / in the
- in players / develop / and / games / co-operation / a team-spirit
Practice Set - 36
- considered/was/tigers,/Sariska,/for/sanctuary/a/which/tigers left/have/any/does not
- teeth/one / the/neglected / of/div / the / are/of / most/parts
Practice Set - 37
- before/calculate/exams/the/number of/days/the
- for each/divide/the/days/of/number/subject
- day/each/number/subject/of/allot/for/the/chapters/per -
- and/notes/prepare/revise concepts/finally
- the Sandalwood/comes/oil/tree/the sandal/of Mysore/from
- of sandalwood/the commercial/Tipu Sultan/recognized/significance
- for the/monopolized/he then/the trade/state
Practice Set - 38
- entirely/blame the/we/public/cannot
- its life/an animal/could/cost/road/the/on/candy/throwing/a/even
- have been/by/infuriated/I/of/etiquette/lack/people's
- cannot/freedom/away/be/taken/one/from/of speech
- cannot/speaking/yet one/all the time/keep on
Practice Set - 39
- shows/Tagore/path of/the/taking/pride/love/in the/God/of
- The/ first/doctor/a diagnosis/makes/an illness/ of
- he or she/what/then/kind/decides/of treatment /needed/is
- can/treated with/many/be/a/ course of medicines/illnesses
- may/the doctor/if/ is serious/the case/operate.
Best of Luck for exams
थैंक्यू। बेस्ट ऑफ लक।
मेरे चैनल को सब्सक्राइब करने के लिए 👇
Channel link 👇 Click here to
दोस्तों और Classmates को जरूर भेज देना। ठीक है।
Learning is fun here
JOIN our WhatsApp & TELEGRAM (at 9466707359) groups where we teach English syllabus.